A Few More Great Quotes!
"Today, after years of struggling with the shame of being different - a shame I think all gay people grow up with - I've learned that my difference is often my strength"
- Dorthy Atcheson
"I just wish more of my fellow queers would come out sometimes. It's nice out here, you know?"
- Elton John accepting a Distinguished Achievement Award from Elizabeth Taylor at the Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Center's 25th anniversary blowout.
"No matter how far in or out of the closet you are... you still have a next step!"
- ad slogan at the 1987 March on Washington
"A person's sexuality is so much more than one word "gay." No one refers to anyone as just "hetero" because that doesn't say anything. Sexual identity is broader than a label."
- Gus Van Sant, U.S. gay filmmaker. Quoted in: Sight and Sound (London, Aug. 1992)
"Okay, conservatives have changed my mind. Allowing gay marriage, I have been persuaded, will destroy the family, weaken Western civilization, turn America into Sodom and Gomorrah, increase the trade deficit with Japan, endanger the family farm and promote tooth decay.
The impeccable logic of conservative opponents is simply too powerful to deny."
- Stephen Chapman. Chicago Tribune columnist
"Blushing is the color of virtue."
"We perceive when love begins and when it declines by our embarrassment when alone together."
- La Bruyere
"Friendship often ends in love but love in friendship - never."
- Charles Caleb Colton
"Intimacy is the touching of hearts."
- Sally Fisher
"A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous."
- Ingrid Bergman
“One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: that word is love.”
"How beautiful maleness is, if it finds its right expression."
- D. H. Lawrence (1885-1930), British author. Sea and Sardinia, ch. 3 (1923)
"To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance."
- Oscar Wilde